Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Pledge of Allegiance



Happy Tuesday! I am going to admit right now that I have been doing a terrible job at having the kids recite The Pledge Of Allegiance each morning. It was one of my plans this year and so far I have been slacking. My new boss has decided that we are going to start doing it every morning as a whole and have different kids lead it from the office onto the speakers in our classrooms. I was super excited as now it can get done even if I'm busy with something else at the moment. So, yesterday I got the kids all up one at a time and had them recite it in front of the class. Even though 2 declined to even try the others knew it by heart. Even one of my autistic boys who really only repeats what I ask him with a "yes" or "no" added at the end recited the whole thing????? Crazy. After listening to them I got to thinking if they really even understand what it was they are saying? There are some pretty big words in the Pledge of Allegiance. I went home last night and put together this little slide show and today I handed out this worksheet and we got to work dissecting The Pledge. I think the kids have a much better understand of what they have been saying all these years. I used very basic definitions and did elaborate and give examples as we went over each word. A very successful lesson if I do say so myself  :-) 

3 comments:

  1. I thought I might be the only other teacher that accidently doesn't get to the pledge each morning! I really try but, then I look at my students and feel the same as you like they don't get what they are saying or doing and need to understand the reason why we do it. Then I forget about that idea until the next day when it is on the announcements again. Oh Well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, that's pretty much how my mind works too. Must be a teacher thing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete