Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Getting Organized - Curriculum By Subject

Every year I tell myself "self, you need to be more organized this year". As my curriculum grows I find it harder and harder to keep track of what I have done and what I need to do. 5 years ago I would just create a worksheet when I needed one, then save it in my computer in the hopes of remembering I had it for the next year. I was so overwhelmed with having to create everything I used that organization was out the window. 2 years ago I started printing out everything and placing it inside binders by subject. Last year I tried teaching in the order of the binders, but then I would get pulled, or the school would plan something during my class time, or some kid would keep picking his nose and the lesson on food storage was put on the back burner as we worked on Nose Picking 101. By the middle of the year, I couldn't remember where I was or what I had done. 

This year I have created a worksheet with all the lessons I have and taped it to the wall next to my desk. So far, 4 weeks in, I have done an amazing job at marking off each lesson after I teach it. I am going to try REALLY hard this year to STAY ORGANIZED! Does anyone else do something similar to this? How do you keep yourself organized? I would love to know.

Here is what I have been using. I am sure I will add to it when some new issues arise, but for now, this will have to do. Wish me luck :-)


10 comments:

  1. Do you typically try to do one of these lessons a day? Is it for one of your periods or blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do no more than 1 of these type of worksheets a day, but since we still have not been given the go ahead to leave campus most days like we have in prior years I have done two a day more than once. My kids typically arrive and work in their morning folders on functional academics, eat breakfast and we leave by 9:15. We don't return until 11:15. I will then teach another class when we return and another at 1 after lunch. Once we get back to our norm again I will post my new schedule. We play a lot of educational games (mostly money), use the computer lab, internet stuff, educational videos, reading comprehension, and activity boxes so there really is only time to do one of these worksheets a day if that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted this photo on Pinterest and it has gotten a ton of response. I like it because it it lists many of the skills we need to teach in each of the critical life skill areas. Even though i teach middle school, I am able to come up with my own lesson plans that fit my middle school students by following your outline. We use almost all of this except the job skills. It's been very helpful, so I wanted to thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have specific suggested "curriculums" or lessons for middle school? I.e. what you hope most them have before they get to you? I teach a Life Skills class to students with Autism. Obviously, their needs vary but Im having a hard time knowing what to teach and whats most important. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't, sorry. I would think all of the same subjects above would apply to your age group as well. I don't use any specific curriculum, just things I have put together myself over the years. I really love when a student comes to me knowing a little about money. Denominations and being able to count coins together. Safety in the community is another but I would think all would apply. Sorry I'm not a lot of help.

      Delete
  5. Can I have this sent to my email? I can't get it to print properly from here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Sent me and email to Empoweredbythem@aol.com and I will get it to you!

      Delete
  6. I have just discovered your work. Saw the Program Planner on Pinterest and when I read your introduction I was blown away! Describes me down to a T. Can't wait do see what else you have. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great. Thanks for sharing. Can you please put your Life Skills Program Planner on a PDF so I can copy it. Otherwise it prints too small to read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete