Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Circuit Maker

It's surprises me every year how my whole classroom shifts on what they like and what they don't like to do. The last two years, not one student has touched the puzzles on my shelves. This year, it is like the hot ticket activity. I even had to buy a couple extra so there was enough to go around. I remember about three years ago my box of pattern blocks was what everyone wanted to play with. The last couple years no one seems to care for them at all. 
Last week a co-worker of mine bought a Circuit Maker set for his students and called me over to check it out. I was pretty sure my boys would love it as they are really into putting things together this year. I picked it up over the weekend and introduced it to the kids yesterday. I don't know who is enjoying it more, the kids or the staff (me included). It starts out pretty easy and will build as they start making more.
It says ages 8 and up on the box and so far a couple of my boys were able to do it on their own. some of them needed help with the layering (which is clear on the instructions) but they were able to snap them together fine and follow the grid. I have only allowed them to each do two as I wanted everyone to get turns making them. So far we made a circuit board that turned on a light and one that made a buzzer sound! I can't wait to see what the next pages will bring!

5 comments:

  1. What a great pre-vocational skill! I have never heard of this before but I will definitely try to locate a set, as that looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get yours? I did a Google search and couldn't find it. It looks like something my kiddos would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got it at Target for 40.00. There were smaller sets available for less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny, I found this one on Amazon, different company name but the stuff looks the exact same! http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Snap-Circuits-SC-300-Physics/dp/B00CIXVIRQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1412209307&sr=1-1&keywords=circuit+maker+sound+plus+200

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'll have to check it out

    ReplyDelete