Friday, August 15, 2014

Weekly Schedule (for the time being)

Ugh, I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to come up with a schedule! I feel for you teachers that have to do this all year long, I've been so spoiled! Like I said in my last post, we will be on campus the first 30 days of school and I need to have a schedule put together before Monday on what I plan on doing. I have three events planned tomorrow and would really love a day of rest on Sunday so I'm trying to finish this tonight (if possible). So far this is what I have. Each period is an hour and since I can't imagine my kids be interesting in ANY subject for that long I have split each period into two. I tried to throw in some fun things I know they like throughout the day so I don't lose them. I don't want to leave anything out or have to make to many changes, tho I know it's inevitable. The first part of period 1 will only be 15 min and our morning chat consists of calendar skills, counting money by 5's, 10's, and quarters, current events, our day... etc. Our functional academic notebooks are in the morning too and cover a wide variety. Oh, and we will be doing some sort of PE during that outdoor time. 

Does anyone have a schedule prepared that I can peak at or can you let me know if you think I am missing something. I probably should have stayed longer today at work and did this cause now that I'm home I'm drawing blanks. 

Feel free to email me too @ empoweredbythem@aol.com

Thank you!!!

6 comments:

  1. I looked it over and I think you have everything covered, if your functional curriculum covers the basic academic subjects. I don't see cooking on there but perhaps you are covering it in life skills. And the same with vocational tasks and independent work? Good luck with the start of your year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will go ahead and add cooking but more following a recipe. I have a book someone loaned me that has a ton of non edible recipes and at least they will learn some cooking skills (measuring, stirring). I only teach functional academics so that's covered in their morning folders. About the voc tasks, those are mostly in my boxes and since they love doing them I am sure they will get worked on during their "free time". Thanks for commenting too!!! Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me. Thanks, your post makes me a little less stressed about my schedule for when we start on August 26th. I teach 4th/5th grade and I still don't have my inclusion period schedule, which makes it really difficult for me to make my schedule. Hopefully, my principal will be available next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this schedule! thank you for sharing! What do you currently do/use for teaching money skills?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, I usually do two money classes during the week. One about anything from banking to budgeting to making purchases and then another where we count money. I divided the kids into 3 groups by their level for this one and we work on recognition, value and counting coins and dollars. I have a couple higher kids that can actually work on giving back change so we do that too in the small groups taking turns. These cards here are good to use http://empoweredbythem.blogspot.com/2013/11/money-cards.html. And I will add these as we reach certain levels. http://empoweredbythem.blogspot.com/2013/02/money-skills.html I like doing the small groups and having them watch and or help the other two or three kids in their group. I also allow my lower group to use my 3 coin-u-laters as well for help, but not every week as I don't want them to rely on them. Since my kids are young adults, I don't see a lot of growth during the year academically. That doesn't mean I don't try my best, and we do see learning happening. Money is really hard for some of them! Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete