Monday, February 18, 2013

Grocery Shopping Scavenger Hunt

Every Tuesday my class goes on a community outing.  Tomorrow we are heading to the grocery store!  I try to come up with some sort of activity for the students to do while we are at our outings.  We will have a whole hour at the store,  and I don't want anybody getting bored! The kids will be in groups of 3 with an aide or me.  Each group will have this worksheet on their clipboard ready to write down the price and to see if it is on sale.  I cheated a little and checked out the sales ad before making the worksheet. I know that about half of these items are going to be on sale tomorrow when we go.  This worksheet is very basic, but I think it will be fun for them to find the items on their own.
FREE --->  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Grocery-Scavenger-Hunt

9 comments:

  1. Karen - this is great! I do the same thing with my students when we go shopping! Would really love to share ideas with you. I have been teaching the Life Skills class for 17 years and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! We have the best job every! I would love to share ideas with you too!! You can email me @ empoweredbythem@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, this is very cool! It's sooo nice to see ideas out there for our older students! I love your stuff and just pinned this one.

    Chris
    Autism Classroom News

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Chris, I love your stuff too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, I am so excited that I have found your blog! I am new to teaching an 18-22 Transition class and completely overwhelmed. Previously, I taught in an SID/PID class so this is all new to me. Your blog and TPT has been a tremendous help! Would you happen to have any advice for a newbie like me? Thank you for sharing all of your information with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth! So glad you found my blog. When I got transferred into a transition (4 years ago)class I had NOTHING! Sure wish I would have found me back then, lol. I guess my biggest advice is treat them like the adults they are (even when they act like a 4 year old), keep them busy and if they can do it for themselves, let them. Let me know how things go and if I can help you with anything! You're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a neat idea, but why is everything processed, full of fat and sugar? What about encouraging our kids to find real foods like apples, and eggs, and carrots?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just one of MANY lessons I do with my kids Brattykat. Encouraging healthy eating is high on my list and we have weekly lessons on it. This was a scavenger hunt not a lesson on healthy eating. Weighing fruits and veggies is a whole other lesson. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally using this for my 7 year old homeschool child! This'll keep him busy in the store and help with math skills! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete